The Administrative Assistant position provides administration, data entry, financial management, and record keeping support to the Anarchist Mountain Fire Department. This position requires an individual who possesses excellent organizational skills and the disposition to work well with other department members, local government representatives and the public. The position reports to the Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chiefs in the Chief’s absence.
The position requires the operation of a personal computer, photocopier, and other equipment normally found in a modern office environment.
Essential Job Functions:
– Maintain confidentiality about information learned on the job.
– Ability to learn and administer the department policies and procedures.
– Assist with budget preparation and management, including budget disbursement records and bookkeeping.
– Purchase and maintain office supplies used by the department.
– Maintain a small petty cash fund – from grocery receipts and bottle recycling
– Maintain complete and accurate files on department personnel including recruits, existing members and past members.
– Accurately prepare, proof read and edit correspondence, reports and other documents.
– Review accuracy of financial accounting reports against actual invoices/orders and work with RDOS finance team to rectify errors
– Maintain records, prepare statistical information and reports as required.
– Routinely update the department website as new information is supplied by department members.
– Perform other related administrative duties and special projects as requested.
– Must be at least 19 years of age and have the ability to work independently.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
– Ability to work independently.
– Excellent keyboarding skills are needed.
– Possess good working knowledge of personal computers with Microsoft Office software and be familiar with computer record management software.
– Some knowledge and/or experience in bookkeeping would be helpful.
– Must be willing to learn new software programs specifically designed for the fire service.
– Must be physically and mentally capable of developing, implementing and utilizing a records management system including filing documents and records.
– Possess excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English with the public, elected officials, department heads and other fire department members.
Hours of Work:
The department wishes to establish regular office hours for the public. The hours of operation will be based on the incumbent’s availability but should be a minimum of four to five hours per week. If additional hours are required to fulfill the job they are flexible and can be home or fire hall based.
There are a number of reasons to volunteer for this position, including:
– Opportunity to get to know and become a member of a dynamic group of community minded individuals who want to help others.
– Volunteering presents challenges and opportunities for you to grow and develop new skills.
– As you gain experience you gain self confidence and self-esteem.
– Volunteering shows character.
To express your interest or ask any questions, please contact AMFD Deputy Fire Chief Alex Giovannelli (firstname.lastname@example.org)